Mr. Jeffrey M. Smith
Greenberg Traurig LLP
Securities law, including ethics and malpractice litigation involving attorneys and accountants; entertainment industry joint ventures and audits; and food and beverage industry joint ventures and audits.
Bachelor of Arts, summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa, University of Minnesota, 1970. University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 1966-67. Juris Doctor, magna cum laude, Order of the Coif, University of Minnesota, 1973. Member, 1971-72, and President 1972-73, Minnesota Law Review.
C. HONORS AND AWARDS
- The Best Lawyers in America: Plaintiffs’ Legal Malpractice;
- The Best Lawyers in America: Defendants’ Legal Malpractice;
- The Best Lawyers in America: Corporate Law;
- Who’s Who in American Law;
- Who’s Who in America and;
- Who’s Who in the World.
D. SUMMARY OF TEACHING ACTIVITIES
- Semester courses in Ethics and Legal Malpractice at Duke, Emory and Vanderbilt Law Schools.
- Chair, 1983 – 2022, Georgia ICLE Professionalism, Ethics and Malpractice Seminar.
- Southwestern University of Finance and Economics: Guest Lecturer, English Language Instruction, 2013 (Chengdue, China).
- Central University of Finance and Economics: Honorary Professor and Guest Lecturer, Securities Laws, and Legal Opinions, 2008-present (Beijing, China).
- Suzhou Institute: Guest Lecturer, Securities Regulation, 2009 (Suzhou, China).
- China Supreme Court: Guest Lecturer, Evolution of the Federal Securities Laws in the United States and comparison to China’s Securities Laws, May 13, 2008 (Beijing, China).
1. 1976: Author, Preventing Legal Malpractice (West Publishing), the first book on this subject.
2. 1981: Editor and reviewer, Levinson, Accountant’s Legal Liability (Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, Inc.).
3. 1999: Co-author, Fourth Edition of Preventing Legal Malpractice (Thomson/West). 4. 1985-2015: Co-author, Legal Malpractice (Thomson/West), a five-volume, 7,000-page treatise.
5. 2007-Present: Co-author, Second, Third and Fourth Editions, Legal Opinions In Business Transactions (American Bar Association), a three-volume, 2,000-page treatise.
6. 2021: Co-editor, Harvard Professor Michael Witzel, The Veda in Kashmir (Harvard Press).
7. 2023: (estimated): Co-author with Harvard Professor Michael Witzel, Teaching English Strategically to Native Mandarin Speakers.