Ms. Shunta Vincent McBride
Shunta McBride is Counsel in MendenFreiman’s estate planning, trust and estate administration, tax planning, and business law practice areas. She joined the firm in 2022 and has a knack for explaining the unfamiliar and navigating clients through what they often perceive as uncharted territory in the area of wills, probate and real estate — and in particular, heirs’ property. She is skilled at crafting solutions that are well tailored for her clients and shows thoughtful consideration in identifying a clear path forward for new engagements.
Shunta’s experience in estate planning includes drafting wills, trusts, powers of attorney, and healthcare directives that are consistent with clients’ goals. She also has a strong estate administration practice. Her probate experience includes representing fiduciaries in Probate Court on a variety of matters, including estate administration, year’s support, minor conservatorships, orders dispensing with administration, and petitions for leave to sell real estate. Shunta’s work also includes providing fiduciaries with step-by-step guidance on how to properly marshal assets, pay off debts, and distribute property — including real property — to beneficiaries. She also frequently works with personal injury attorneys to open estates in connection with the settlement of personal injury claims.
Following law school, Shunta clerked for the Honorable U.W. Clemon (Ret.) at the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Alabama in Birmingham. Prior to joining MendenFreiman, she was the founding attorney of The Law Office of Shunta V. McBride, LLC. Shunta also practiced for 10 years as a commercial real estate attorney with DLA Piper LLP (US) and Morris, Manning & Martin LLP in Atlanta.
Shunta’s pro bono work includes volunteering for Georgia Appleseed alongside other attorneys to help the nonprofit launch the Georgia Heirs Property Law Center in 2016. Shunta previously served on the Board of Directors for The Georgia Heirs Property Law Center, which is the first nonprofit legal center of its kind in Georgia that is exclusively dedicated to addressing the heirs’ property problem for Georgians. Shunta has also volunteered in the Probate Court Information Centers for the Probate Courts of Fulton County and DeKalb County.
- The University of Alabama School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 2004
- The University of Alabama, B.S. in Accounting, cum laude, 2001
- Routinely represent doctors, lawyers, executives and other professionals on a variety of estate planning matters; crafted both trust-based and will-based estate plans alike to facilitate the transfer of one’s wealth to successive generations; walked clients through the process of funding trusts to complete their estate plans.
- Have represented heirs inheriting new wealth by drafting estate plans to fit their needs, providing guidance and advisory services including providing opportunities to connect them with private wealth bankers to serve their unique investment management, lending, and cash-flow budgeting needs.
- Have represented trustees in the petitioning for trust amendments before Probate Court and have represented trustees in the amendment of testamentary trust provisions where all parties (trustee and beneficiaries) have amicably agreed upon a plan to decant and modify trusts.
- Served as Executor in the administration of an estate in Fulton County, where selected by the non resident sole heir to handle the entire estate administration from beginning to end, inclusive of selling the decedent’s Georgia real property, coordinating tangible personal property estate sales with auctioneers, liquidating stock, and engaging counsel in Mexico to facilitate the distribution of real estate abroad as a charitable gift.
- Have represented Executors in the negotiation and sale of commercial real estate.
- Before transitioning into estate planning and administration full time, represented a major league baseball team in the purchase and development of 80 acres of undeveloped land that has since been developed into a premiere public-private, mixed-use development north of Atlanta, inclusive of entertainment, athletic, office, retail, and residential uses.
Professional Affiliations and Memberships
- State Bar of Georgia, member
Awards and Recognition
- Georgia Appleseed Center for Law & Justice “Good Apple Award”, 2013